#StyleInTheCity: Karen Song
From Miami to the city streets of downtown Los Angeles we search deep to find inspiration, talent and style with this go-getter: Karen Song - as she opens up to gives us the the low-down on her TOP 10 #StyleInTheCity secrets and new season must-haves.
1. WHAT DO YOU DO, ASIDE FROM BLOGGING ?
- I'm a professional dancer, creative consultant/director, and business owner. I've been dancing for over a decade and have been blessed to work with some of the bests in the industry such as Beyonce, Katy Perry, Pharrell, Diplo, and many more. I've also recently started a new food pop-up restaurant called "Yo Mama" with my best friends. We're hosting our first event on November 13 in Downtown LA and couldn't be more excited!
2. WHAT’S YOUR CURRENT PLAYLIST LOOKING LIKE …
- Lately, I've been listening to a lot of underground artists on Soundcloud. Style wise, it's been house, hip hop, soul, and anything vibey and that I can get down to! Currently, I'm loving Solange, The Internet, Esta, Major Lazer, Soulection, Kaytranda, Miguel, Jengi beats - to name a few.
3. WHAT KEEPS YOU GOING AND MOTIVATED ?
- I'm passionate about constantly growing and evolving. I think it's important to push yourself to the next level and not be afraid to try new things. Fear motivates me to push beyond my comfort zone. Don't settle for what's easy!
4. STYLE MUST-HAVES DURING ANY SEASON ?
- Having my wardrobe stacked with solid basics are a must have for me. Functionality is key. I choose to invest in pieces that can take me from day to night. I also love layering basics with different looks depending on the season/trend. A few key pieces that I rock year-round are 1. moto leather jacket, 2. LBD, 3. high-waisted denim jeans, 4. black ankle booties, 5. trainers, 6. nice jewelry, 7. satin bombers, 8. vintage concert tee, and 9. high quality tees/tanks.
5. WHERE DO YOU DRAW INSPIRATION FROM ...
- Being spontaneous, traveling, music, dance, exploring new places, interesting conversations, life experiences.
6. DON’T BE AFRAID TO ….
- Take new risks and challenge the status quo. Life is too short to live on someone else's agenda. Do what you love and put in the work!
7. WHO ARE YOUR TOP 3 STYLE INFLUENCERS …
- I love women that are bad ass gals. With that being said, of course Rihanna wins the prize for that one. She's 100% unapologetic and herself. Digital influence-wise, I've been digging @alealimay. I'm heavily influenced by lux street wear/street culture, so I love that she mixes that into her wardrobe. Lastly, I've been lusting over @prettysickly. She has such a cool effortless vibe and her aesthetics is always on point.
8. WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS TODAY ABOUT THE BLOGGING SPHERE ?
- I think that our current society has given a space for artists to produce some of the most original and creative content without the restrictions of traditional media. Because of social media (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram), we can create a platform in the virtual world. With that freedom also comes a lot of "noise." I think that the market is over saturated and a lot of people are trying to do the same thing. But at the end of the day, there is only one YOU. Only you can speak to your audience the way that you do and put out authentic content. Embrace your individuality.
9. QUOTE TO LIVE BY ….
- "May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears"
- "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it"
- "The dream is free. The hustle is sold separately"
10. WHAT ARE YOUR STYLE LINK MIAMI FAVORITE STYLES ?
- Style Link Miami hit the mark this season for their shop! Dress up or dress down, they got you. I love the Blush Satin Bomber,it's such a versatile piece. Next would be the Black Criss-cross Bandage Jumpsuit. You'll be a heart-breaker in this little number. The cuts and materials is really unique. Lastly, my favorite piece is the Black Long Slip Dress. Really loving the lace slit cuts on the side and the material. Every girl should find these pieces as staple items this season!
Over to you !
Drop us a note in the comments section below to share your thoughts !
If you like this post & want to see more ? Signup to our newsletter to be the FIRST TO KNOW !
Leave a comment